vCloud Suite 5.8 had just been released with new product releases like vCenter 5.5 Update2, ESXi 5.5 Update2, SRM 5.8, vSphere Replication 5.8 to name a few. For a complete list, you can refer to this link.
Itching to try out the new vSphere Replication 5.8 in conjunction with SRM 5.5, I went to the download site to get it. But looking at the dowload page for VR 5.8, it looks like vSphere Replication is not supported in SRM 5.5.
And verifying the VMware Product Interoperability Matrix, it is confirmed that only SRM 5.8 is supported.
But for standalone vSphere Replication without SRM, VR 5.8 is supported down to ESXi 5.0
It seems there is a known issue with the EMC Mirrorview SRA if all the MirrorView replicated LUNs are within a consistency group. Site Recovery Manager errors out during device discovery with the following error:
SRA command ‘discoverDevices’ failed. No replicated devices could be found. Please verify the correct array managers and array pairs are configured.
The SRA version is 5.0.2 and the Mirroview Enabler version is 220.127.116.11
The workaround is to create a new replicated LUN but DO NOT put it in any consistency group. I got this workaround from this post. Tried it and SRM was able to discover the replicated LUN’s.
I’m currently spending most of my lab time honing my SRM skills preparing for my next project. The past few days I have upgraded my lab to SRM 5.5.1 using a NetApp storage simulator and NetApp SRA 2.1. All works good so far with array based replication.
So I decided to try using vSphere Replication. However I am encountering issues after deploying the vSphere Replication appliance. It will deploy fine but its not taking the IP address that I set (reverts to DHCP). When I login to the management webpage https://ip-address:5480, it gives me the message “Failed to Initialize“. I tried redeploying the appliance a couple of times but still encounters the same issue.
Then I realized I have been deploying the appliance using the vSphere Client. So I tried deploying it using the Web Client, and after deployment and poweron of the appliance, I don’t see the error anymore and I was able to login and configure the appliance.
I’m not sure if this is new to vSphere Replication 5.5 but anyways, will always try to remind myself to try and move away to the vSphere Client. But since SRM5.5 is still managed using the vSphere Client, then that will have to wait 🙂